Old November 13th 05, 04:07 AM
Lanny Chambers

Default Thermostat needle

In article
outautos.com>,
"2forgetmenot" > wrote:

> Everyday I warm my car up for 5-15 minutes before driving. After
> approximately 2-5 minutes of driving the thermostat needle starts to
> slowly drop down to cold

What happens if you don't warm up the engine first? Letting it idle for
longer than a few seconds is not necessary, and letting it idle for 15
minutes may actually be bad for the engine by promoting carbon deposits
(hence the dealer's engine cleaning).

Try starting the engine, waiting for the oil pressure gauge to level
off--which takes less time than fastening your seatbelt--and then just
driving off at a moderate pace. The engine should be warm enough for the
heater to become useful within a mile or two, even in winter. Just try
to keep it under 4000 rpm and avoid full throttle until the oil pressure
drops and stabilizes around 55-60 psi at highway speeds. That's when you
know everything is up to full operating temperature, and ready to accept
a full load.

That's how I treat my '94, and at 136k miles it runs better than new and
uses zero oil between changes.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis