Old September 30th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Hemi Challenger

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:36:15 -0500, WindsorFox

>> On Sep 26, 11:07 pm, "Les Benn" > wrote:
>>
>>> lol a measly 5.4L Ford engine (probably out of a lawnboy mower)

>> Oh, you're just being a slanderous *******.
>>
>>> even with a
>>> blower will be a dog compared to a Hemi Challenger with the new 6.1L Hemi
>>> Challenger

>> I like the new Hemi. But I don't see how you've come to this
>> conclusion. The 6.1 SRTs only run about 108 in the 1/4. The GT500s
>> run an easy 110. (And do we want to add the GT500KRs and KR Super
>> Snakes?) Or are you betting because the Challenger is going to be a 2-
>> door that it'll be lighter. I say don't bet on it. I think we'll be
>> lucky if it's south of 3,900.
>>

> IMHO the 5 litre hemi is over rated, under powered and drinks gas
>like a dragster. I think that if they had used newer technology with OHC
>and such. Yes it has 40% more power than the Magnum in my Ram did, but
>gets worse mileage. A two door Dodge Ram Rumble Bee with the 345 HP hemi
>has loses by at least 2/3 of the length of my Titan against it's four
>doors and supposedly 305 HP and I get better mileage. Now I looked a
>some of the differences between the 5 and 6 litre hemis and without
>knowing it's real world mileage I'll say it's far more satisfying.
>However, at least one difference is something that *we* would do after
>market and replaces the cast manifolds with stainless tube headers. Also
>it's still OHV.

Absolutely nothing wrong with an OHV engine. OHC is no panacea and
involves more complex cam drives. OHC only comes into it's own with
high RPM operation. A cam in block V engine wirh pushrods and either
gear or chain camdrive is more durable than any cam-in-head design by
virtue of the chain/belt length and associated wear issues. Hemi head
complicates the push-rod/rocker situation a bit, raising the involved
reciprocating mass, which limits high rpm performance.
Same thing is true of 4 valve technology. Low RPM operation gains
nothing from 4 valve tech unless you also have variable induction
(shut down half of the intake at low RPM) to improve intake velocity
at low speeds.
The 4 cam setup on the Ford Duratec 6 is a potent arrangement above
5000 RPM without suffering from low intake velocity and poor cyl fill
at low RPM because of the variable tuned intake. But what a MISERABLE
peice of equipment to work on - and the 2.5 not only performs like a
3.8, but drinks like one too.