Old March 22nd 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default Chevy To Add New V8/RWD To Lineup

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in message
> On 3/15/2012 23:39, twk wrote:
>> There is no demand. They can barely sell them. The volt is a failure.
>> And that's too bad because the tax payers are getting screwed over this.
>>
>> There is _NO_ tax rebate for buying a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which by the
>> way starts at $28,775. AND, it gets 41 city/36 hwy/39 combined.
>> <http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/specifications/>
>> Oh yeah, the Fusion seats 5. I wouldn't buy either one (at this point in
>> my life) but I'm leaning toward the Ford.
>>

> Again I think that's more to do with price than anything. You'd better
> check that again, there should be a tax credit for any hybrid.

The laziest bit of Googlin' tells me this:

Tax credits for hybrids, gas/electric, and plug-in electric cars is a global
initiative, not just within the U.S.

Previously, hybrids qualified for tax credits. Problem is, as sales grew to
a given point, those credits expired (Toyota and Honda have been
discontinued, I believe - there is especially no longer an incentive to
offer an incentive for buying a Prius)

There's a "2011 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit for Electric Cars" with a
credit of $7,500 for any of the qualifying vehicles. These include the
plug-in Chevy Volt, and the CODA Sedan (?), the Nissan Leaf, the smart
fortwo, the Tesla Roadster, and the Wheego LiFe (?). Again, once production
of any vehicle reaches 200,000, these credits begin to go away.

From Ford, the Fusion and Escape Hybrids did, indeed, qualify for tax
credits. Whether or not they still do, I don't know. But, as with all hybrid
vehicles at least at one time, they most certainly did earn tax credits.

So it's not all just about Chevy, or just about the Volt. Governments around
the world have been offering incentives to move customers from gas to
electric, and the tax credit for a Chevy Volt is just one example.

dwight