Old January 23rd 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark3571

Default Any good News about the 2.7L Chrysler Engine

Has anybody driven a 2.7L engine 200,000 to 150,000 miles without any
major problems?

Do the timing chains wear out? Have you had to replace the water pump?
The timing chains (1 primary and 2 secondary) cost about $200 to $300
and a complete kit with 3 chains 3 gears, tensioners and guides would
cost $650 to $750. Would you replace them or reuse them if you had to
change the water pump?

A knowledgeable used car sales said he thought a 2.7L would last but
only if it was maintained well. He didn't think it would tolerate
abuse such as 15,000 mile oil changes. He thought some engines will let
you get away with an occasional 15,000 mile oil change, but not the
2.7L. (A mechanic friend of mine said it is not that uncommon for
customers to bring in a car that has gone 9 to 10 months and 15,000
miles since its last oil change; but of course these customers don't
plan on driving a car 200,000 miles)

I recently bought a 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with the 2.7L.
The car had about 45,000 miles on it. I plan to use full synthetic oil
and change it every 3000 to 5000 miles, I will change the anti-freeze
every 2nd year with the 5 year / 150,000 Prestone antifreeze, change
the air filter and PCV valve every 30,000. I will off course change
the drive belts and hoses as they age or appear worn and maintain the
rest of the car (i.e. transmission, brakes, power steering) but my main
concern is the infamous engine.

Any ideas or experience with these engines?

Mark