Old March 2nd 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Parking brake/Rear drum sticking on Rabbit

Bryan K. Walton > wrote:
> Please forgive me if this is a stupid question. But based upon your
> first answer, I assume that there are then two sets of brake pads on
> each rear wheel?

Nope. Cars with drum brakes usually use the same set of brake pads for
rear brakes and e-brakes. Some modern cars use drum brakes as e-brakes
in addition to the rear disk brakes. The 1983 Rabbit is not amongst the
latter

> And therefore, you are suggesting I check the brake
> pad set specifically operated by the parking brake?

Well, I'd say either somebody didn't put the assembly back together
properly, or possibly the rotor's warped, or one of the cables is stuck
somewhere.