Old December 15th 12, 01:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Default Loose rearview mirror on C6

Dad wrote:
> "Unquestionably Confused" > wrote in message
>> On 12/14/2012 2:59 PM, Ron Stewart wrote:
>>> Good news!
>>> I drove out to the shop that installed the windshield and showed him the
>>> loose mirror. He took it off the windshield, took into his shop and took
>>> it apart, took out the bent pins and straightend them. Put it all back
>>> together and back onto it's mount on the glass. Now it is stable and
>>> just fine. He told me he has had similar problems with this on Volvos,
>>> who use a similar design. I told him about one of the guys on the forum
>>> who makes new pins out of 7/64"dia. drill shanks. He said he would keep
>>> that in mind.
>>> I'm guessing the soft metal pins might be needed for safety reasons to
>>> meet government crash requirements to ensure the mirror breaks before it
>>> breaks someone's head.

>> That's our government. Brilliance in considering the plight of the center
>> seat passengers in our Corvettes<g>
>>

>>> Thanks for the quick response to my post.

>> Glad to hear that it all worked out. I based my answer on my experiences
>> with the C4 and C5 (I think I tightened the mirror mount on the C5 - not
>> sure)
>>
>> Learned something new from Dad (and you) about the C6. If I ever get one,
>> I'll...
>>

> WOW, metal pins in a car made in the USA, whoda thunk it? The way the manual
> reads I expected it to be a plastic detent of some sort.
>
> I changed windshields/glass back in the late 50s/60s while going to college
> and there are just gobs of things that can go wrong. A guy that had a
> Fingerhut in Toledo started doing mobile changes like they all do now. What
> a learning experience, it got to where we were not allowed to touch a dirty
> or wet car because you couldn't see if there was any other damage and they
> would come back on us to fix it. The one that really ripped my boss was a
> small piece of locating masking tape was left on a windshield and they made
> us drive back out and pull it off. Ahhh the good old days.
>
> For your continued learning experiance for both the C5 & the C6 here's a
> list of things which a lot of people don't know, whether or not they're in
> the manual, copied from one or more of the Corvette groups.
>
> -The C6 has front and rear brake cooling ducts beneath the car. They use
> high pressure areas to bring air to the low pressure areas where the brakes
> are.
>
> -The button between the "1" and "2" buttons on the door is for easy
> exit/entry.
>
> -The doors have a manual release located near the floor.
>
> -The C6 can be entered by using the provided key in the lock above the rear
> license plate.
>
> -The C6 can be started by placing the fob in the hidden receptacle in the
> glove box.
>
> -The Automatic transmission has programming to hold gears while cornering.

> [...]

I knew most of these about the C6...especially the one about sticking
the fob in the glove box receptacle - when I got my Z06 I started
reading the owners manual .pdf before I even sent the check and received
the car.

That knowledge served me well when my fob died on me during a trip to
Vegas...the car is a 2008 and even though it only had 4100 miles on it
when I bought it the fob battery was three years old at least. So it
died on me at a gas station...and I had to use a few of these tricks to
get myself to a drug store and buy another fob battery. Now I carry a
spare one in the rear box.

I've since schooled at least one other C6 owner on this one...and the
key slot over the license plate. Now if I could learn to shift a six
speed smoother...

--
- Rufus