Old November 14th 04, 10:16 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Two things I would recommend.

First is to clean the MAF sensor element. Over time it develops a coat
of dirt that insulates the element which in turn causes the meter to
send a signal to the computer that it is seeing less air than is
actually running through the it. This causes the computer to deliver
less fuel to the cylinders than is required and a lean condition occurs
which can result in detonation (aka "pinging").

Second is to dump a can of BG 44K into the gas tank. If you are burning
oil it might be causing a buildup of carbon in the combustion chambers.
Since the carbon takes up space it has the effect of raising the
compression ratio of the engine. This in turn can cause detonation. BG
44K will also do a great job of cleaning the entire fuel system. The
cheap fuel system additives found in auto parts stores aren't worth
using IMHO.

As mentioned, you may have a fuel delivery problem such as a weak fuel
pump or a semi-clogged fuel filter.

As a last comment I don't think burning a 1/4 quart of oil every 3,000
miles is all that bad. We had a T-Bird that burned 1-2 quarts every
3,000 miles and it lasted to 183,000 miles and ran great up until our
son introduced it to the concrete base of a light pole at 35 mph.