Old December 9th 04, 06:44 PM
Henry H. Hansteen

Default Brake booster question

My 2001 Ranger has had a long, soft pedal and weak brakes for quite
a while. The dealer replaced the shoes, pads, master cylinder, and
the ABS unit. Four dealer visits later, the brakes still suck.
Now they want to replace the booster. I don't see how a bad booster
could cause long pedal travel, though. Can't they just put a vacuum
to the booster and if it holds the vacuum, that means it's working?
Also, does anyone know how the front to read proportioning valve
works on a 4x4 Ranger with 4 wheel anti-lock? Does it compensate for
weight in the bed? If so, how?
Thanks,
Henry