Old November 29th 18, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Can I drive my car if the thermostat is bad

Shanda: I don't know if it's the case nowadays, but back in
my day - pre-1980s - quite a few folks were driving around
with replacement thermostats installed backwards in higher
mileage cars. Didn't affect engine performance or drivability,
but the driver had no knowlledge of engine temperature until
steam started shooting from underhood, lol!

I'm dismayed how back then something as simple as an
engine thermostat wasn't KEYED to make it impossible to
install more than one way.