Old October 6th 10, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

Default 156 on the blink

"Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?
>
> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to go
> there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.
>
> --
> regards,
> Malcolm Osborne
> Sedgefield, South Africa
> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

Unfortunately turns out to be the cambelt that went - usual small fortune to
fix!

The cambelt was last changed at 220 000Km (136700m), now its coming up for
280 000Km (174 000m). Thats 60 000Km (37282m) service life. Its supposed to
be well within the recommended distance.

I presume the difference is that I'm not using the car so much these days -
it was last done in 2005. Would a cambelt deteriorate even if not used?

The repair quote is R19 000 - ~ £1727. How does that compare to UK prices?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield, South Africa
156TS - 1999 - 279655Km