Old May 18th 04, 05:21 AM
Dan Duncan

Blah blah > wrote:
> This is way off topic but what ever happened to checking ones smoke
> detector monthly? I must be reading something wrong because I cant
> believe someone would hardwire a smoke detector to their home wiring. It
> be real fun if the eletrical box went and the smoke detector had a dead
> battery. Yeah thats some real insurance of being warned there... If one
> ever needed ANY MORE proof that this guys a moron... <roles eyes>

Hardwired smoke detectors are pretty standard nowadays.

Mine works fine, so I left it alone but added extra smoke detectors
as part of my alarm system. The whole alarm system (and thus the
smoke detectors) is AC powered with battery backup and phone dialout
which theoretically makes it more reliable than the original
hardwired or a battery powered unit because
1) The battery is kept charged by AC
2) There is now one on every floor
3) The alarm siren is loud enough to wake the dead
4) It can alert me and the monitoring company if no one is home

If misterfact were smarter, he could just use a low voltage
DC-powered smoke detector that charges a battery (available CHEAP
through any alarm supplier) and no one could give him any **** about
running whatever wire he likes because it's low voltage DC instead of
line voltage AC.

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand
# The unnatural, that too is natural. -GOETHE