Old October 11th 08, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default e34 95 525i oil leak behind oil filter cup housing

On Oct 10, 2:55*pm, RJD > wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:51:10 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:
>
> >the1995 *e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
> >filter cup. *I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
> >lower rear of the oil cup. *There is a circular indentation or cutout
> >with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
> >in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. *I was wondering
> >if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
> >engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
> >of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.

> It sounds like you are decribing the oil line with Banjo bolt that
> connects to the upper front end of the cylinder head. It starts at the
> lower end of the oil filter boss and snakes it way along until it pops
> out very close to the top of the oil filter cap but terminates on the
> VANOS solenoid.
>
> If this is correct I'd get a new oil line and the 4 metal washers that
> are used to secure it to the engine. That should stop the leak. You
> can replace it without removing too many componets but it will be a
> tight fit.
>
> RJD

I look at it by using a telescopic mirror, and i dont think there is
any line coming to or from the area I am talking about... let me try
to explain again. The leak is coming from.... [if one was able to
stand in front of the engine bay and look straight down at the oil
filter housing.] the leak would be exactly at the base of the cup in
the rear. There is a little circular cutout about the size of a
quarter; and inside that indented circular hole there is a [from what
I can see from the mirror] a shiny smoothed headed stud [about the
size of a dime] holding a larger either rubber or dark metal into the
hole. the oil is leaking out of the stud/rubber contraption. the
stud even seems loose. it feels like its turning with my finger, but
i could be wrong with the oil and smoothness i can't really tell but
it seems like it does turn.. hope this is more clear and thank you for
your help so far.