Old November 11th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default e34 95 525i oil leak behind oil filter cup housing

On Oct 9, 11:51*pm, wrote:
> the1995 *e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
> filter cup. *I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
> lower rear of the oil cup. *There is a circular indentation or cutout
> with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
> in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. *I was wondering
> if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
> engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
> of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.

Your oil leak is the result of one or both o-ring on the end plugs age-
hardening and most likely one has cracked. You will need to remove
the aluminum oil filter housing from the block (6 bolts). To get the
housing out, you will need to remove the alt/ps/fan belt, 2 tensioner
bolts, 2 altenator bolts and 2 power steering pump bolts also.
Replace the 28mm OD x 22mmID x 3mm thick O-ring by removing the
retaining snap rings, removing the end plug, and old hardened black o-
rings (hard like plastic). Place the new (lubricated) O-rings on the
end plug and gently tap them back into position. Reinstall the
retaining ring. Reinstall the aluminum oil housing using a new
houisng to block rubber gasket (old one will be hard as a rock). You
will have another 15 years of no leaks.
I would replace both belts at the same time. Figure on at least 2
hours of work for an experienced BMW mechanic and $7.00 for o-rings
and gasket.