Old January 12th 14, 06:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Default Trickle Charging a C7 battery

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
> On 1/11/2014 9:38 PM, Rufus wrote:
>> Smarty wrote:

> [snip]
>>
>> ...you'd think they'd have been savvy enough provide an exit route for
>> such a device...on the C6 and certainly the C7. Seeing as this a
>> factory et-al sort of chunk of kit:
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Accessories-20929740-Battery/dp/B008FCCX9G>
>>

>> All cheap at half the price...

> I'm glad that it's working out for Smarty and agree that if they are
> going to put the charging port (actually, it's nothing more than an
> "always on" power port inside the vehicle, there should be a way to
> connect the damn thing so that you can lock up the car without having to
> worry about crushing the power cord.
>
> On my C5, obviously, the cord from the maintainer slips neatly beneath
> the weather stripping at the cowl. I don't lock the hood since the car
> is stored in a locked, alarmed garage but I could. I just lower it
> gently assuring that the underhood light doesn't illuminate

It would make even more sense to put it beside or behind the rear
license plate - given that they took the time to stick it under the C7's
hatch...jus' sayin'...

>> I find I haven't needed to keep my Z06 on a charger at all...expected to
>> given some of the things I've read, but never had a problem with it's
>> battery. Other than the fob...

> Unless you lay the car up for months at a time (or weeks, in frigid
> weather like we've had in the Midwest) you probably won't need it if
> stored for less than 10-14 days at a time.

True...grew up there, that's why I live in SoCal now. So I probably
drive my Z06 at least once every couple weeks. Mostly off the hi-dez
into LA and back. Or to Vegas...

> Still, there are enough Corvette fanatics who park their Vette's in
> Mid-October never to move them again until April or...

....but my '87 OTOH moves about once per quarter, max. I think I end up
charging it about twice a year on average.

> I don't care who they are or where they are, if they leave the battery
> in the car it will be DOA when they attempt to start it. Not to mention
> the fact that they'll have that puzzled look on their face when they
> start to notice seals leaking on the car.

In the desert it's generally heat that does a battery in - they tend to
last about three years on average, car/motorcycle/etc. in use or not.
We generally swap them out at the fist sign of balking -

> Mine stays on the maintainer over the winter and gets a 10-15 mile run
> about every month even over the winter. I just pick a clear, dry day
> and go for it.

I should do that more with my '87, but it pretty much just takes up
space these days...planning on trading it away soon anyway.

> Lastly, I guarantee you that the Black & Decker and Schauer battery
> maintainers I use on my car and lawn tractor are just as fine as
> anything bearing the Corvette logo.

Anything that gets the job done...no need to gold-plate it.

--
- Rufus