Old September 26th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Joaquín Topiso

Default heat on the right leg. exhaust heat protections??

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article ews.net>,
> "Joaquín Topiso" > wrote:
>
>> When I am driving for more than 30', the interior part, close to the
>> driver's right leg gets hot.

> This is more than common--it's an inevitable part of owing an older
> MX-5. Under the decorative vinyl outer shift boot, there are two
> rubber inner boots: a lower one on the transmission to keep dirt out
> of the shift turret, and an upper one to seal the hole in the
> floorpan where the shift lever enters. The upper one is torn,
> allowing hot air around the exhaust system to enter the interior.
> Chances are the lower boot is torn as well, so plan on replacing both
> of them. Might as well clean and refill the shift turret while you're
> in there. See http://www.miata.net/garage/shiftboot.html

Ok, thank you for the info and the link. I'll have look when I find the time
(meanwhile winter is almost here, so I am not in a hurry really

> Another cause is an air mix door that doesn't close all the way, so
> the heater cannot be shut off completely. To adjust the cable, remove
> the glovebox and the rest will be obvious.

Yes, I knew that one, but the heat is not coming from the venting
openings... so I guess the problem is not that.

Thank you!