Old July 23rd 10, 08:58 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

Default motor control system failure

On 23/07/2010 08:51, Zathras wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:44:52 +0100, > wrote:
>
>> Managed to get the ecu scanned and that confirmed what I had
>> discovered......the fault code was that of cylinder 3 not getting a
>> squirt of fuel!
>>
>> Having tried to clean and improve the contact several times I now am
>> slightly concerned because although I can get it running beautifully for
>> a while the damn thing eventually reverts to the same problem. The fault
>> code was cleared and remained clear for a while but returned just as
>> soon as the contact 'let go' again. Anybody got a sure fire way of
>> making an effing good contact between the two parts of the damned plug??
>> Or am I barking up the wrong tree.....one begins to wonder.??

> It could be that the cable itself is intermittent. Every time you
> reseat/clean the connector, the disturbance allows the cable to work
> for a while. If repeated cleaning/reseating doesn't work then I'd
> suggest the problem isn't the connector or that the connector is no
> longer serviceable (assuming you've not made an @rse of the cleaning).
>
> How many miles are on the clock..is the injector past its best?

Just tipped over the 40,000 miles mark....it's a spring chicken!

I've done nothing to render the connector useless...yet. I was
considering doing so but I had also wondered about a cable fault. The
way the thing is arranged you can only 'disturb' a very short length of
wire when 'jiggling' so if there's a break in it it should be fairly
accessible. How do I make such a diagnosis?? Any suggestions please?