Old July 12th 18, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default how does the map get into the radio?

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 6:15:26 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
> In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
> it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?
>
> What if you want to install the next year's version?
>
> My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
> even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
> but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
> won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
> Maybe it only has more recent stores.
>
> And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
> DVDs anymore. ??
>
> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>
> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

I'm surprised that they still make standalone GPS units. I use an app on my phone - Waze. The app gives real time updates on road/traffic conditions, estimated time of arrival, presence of road hazards, including police. In the future, all cars will be sending data back and forth to each other.

At any given time, your car will know what every other car near you is going to do. We won't have to worry about driving defensively. Road traffic will act as a single huge living organism.