Old October 5th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Default Just let them do it without saying a word or else.

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..

> Why is life becoming more like grade school? Someone is a total MFFY to
> you, and if you object in the least you're the one that's the problem.
>
> http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_10634834
>
> "According to court documents, York and his wife were in their car,
> looking for a parking spot in the Target lot on East Lohman Avenue, when
> they spotted a vehicle pulling out of a parking space. Before the Yorks
> could pull into the space, an unidentified woman whipped into the spot
> and parked.

I happen to have a different viewpoint of this reported incident and court
settlement...

That someone else gets into a parking space first happens in many crowded
places, including shopping malls and beach area parking lots. It sucks, and
is very inconsiderate, but parking is always about the one who can get into
the spot first. That said, I would also agree that courtesy should be used,
but technically it's not required by law (i.e., there is no vehicle code
that I can find that requires yielding general/non-reserved/non-restricted
parking spaces).

(So if someone passed me while I was waiting for a parking spot and pulled
in first, I would certainly have a very low opinion of them but then again
if someone is that inconsiderate, it's probably also not a good idea to
provoke them with angry speech or profanity. If they came in the other
direction and pulled in first, then it's somewhat debatable whether or not
they cut me off or if I was just too slow in pulling into the spot. If they
cut me off as I was in the motion of actually pulling into the parking lot,
then that's more than just being inconsiderate and borders on reckless
driving. A good long honk of the horn might be called for, but again if they
are that dangerous in their driving then it's probably also not a good idea
to provoke them with angry speech or profanity.)

> Gallegos, who happened to be on duty and in the parking lot, overheard
> York, whose car windows were down, say either "bitch" or "what a bitch,"
> the documents state.

Certainly not the worst of profane words, but it's profanity nevertheless
and maybe could even eventually escalate to a road rage type of incident of
some type if the profanity ends up getting a followup verbal response.

> Gallegos said the comment was heard by him as well as man and a
> 5-year-old child, who were nearby.
>
> Once out of his car, York was confronted by Gallegos, who told him he
> could be arrested for causing a disturbance. An argument between the two
> ensued. Gallegos called for backup, and Lucero and Martinez responded."

If he was out of his car, presumably, he had already found another parking
space. So then cop says he *could* be arrested, and the guy doesn't leave
well enough alone and argues with the cop? How STUPID is that? Just
apologize to the officer and then let it be. (As I read it, the arrest
didn't occur until after the argument and backup was called.)

That means the settlement probably came down to the police officer's arrest
technique, as in had the police officer not used a technique that was
contrary to his training, it's likely that the city would have not had to
settle at all.