Old September 4th 05, 06:50 AM
nashjeff

The battery cranks like a home run hero on the cream, stays charged like a
hurricane, and the break lights work right. At a steady idle of 900 RPM I
can notice obvious flickering in the radio illumination, not to mention the
dash lights and the heavy-drawing headlights. I replaced the $150+
alternator (rebuilt) 8 or 9 months ago and have had no prob until now. I
will test all fuses-good insight. All connections were tested and deemed
tight and right by an amateur wrench. I was under the impression a
voltmeter was a type of testing equipment, not a gauge. My first vehicle,
a four-door Wimbledon white '68 Lincoln Continental had a similar gauge
labeled ALT, but it never worked after the engine fire. (F.Y.I. The $90
wiring harness was substituted with a $7 trailer wiring harness that
worked perfectly, even after four starters.) Note: I have a
disintegrating muffler- could air compression be a culprit? Did I mention
it is a Ford? Lucas oil additive has silenced the knocking at high speeds
for two years. $7 a bottle x six services is $42. I may be a sucker, but
at least I can hear my radio.
Thank you everyone for dispensing your valuable mech knowledge to unknown
proles like me!!! Thanks for all past and future help!