Old November 3rd 10, 05:55 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

Default Audi Reliability Unacceptable by US Standards

On 2010-11-03 11:54:34 -0400, "David" > said:

> "D. LaCourse" > wrote in message
>> On 2010-11-02 12:20:09 -0400, "David" > said:
>>
>>> lution.
>>>
>>> Your RS6 comes as four wheel drive and does not lose traction so easily.
>>> think you would find my BMW more difficult to control than your RS6 when
>>> driven hard.

>> A stock (U.S.) RS6 comes with 450bhp and 415 lb-ft of torgue avail from
>> 1950 - 5600 rpms. It's all wheel drive (not 4 wheel drive) allows it to
>> perform just as well in the rain as in dry (with proper tires).

> Yes, I know. My BMW is 286 hp and 428lb-ft at 2,000 rpms, but it is only a 3
> litre diesel.
> On the track, your RS6 would 100% beat my car, no problem. It is faster,
> and, more predictable. But, my car would provide more moments of
> AAARRRRRGGGHHH ****....

Diesel grunt! Audi, as you may know, is constantly upgrading their
diesel race cars. One thing I can not understand is that diesel fuel,
requiring less refining than gasoline, costs a lot more than gas, at
least here in the States.

>> The first year I owned my RS6 (I bought it in Oct 2003) I went through the
>> winter in New England without snows. Quattro would allow me to go just
>> about anywhere, including a neighbor's steep driveway, in snow. However,
>> with its stock performance tires, it could not stop in snow. The next
>> season I installed a set of Hakkapeliitta snow and found that not only
>> could I go just about anywhere, but I could stop fairly well also.

> Mine is awful in the snow. I would leave it at home. Luckily we do not get
> much snow here.
>

>> I have owned Quattros from the mid 80s until present. Some of the more
>> sophisticated ones, 2.7 L turbo 1990 A6 Avant, 1994 S4, 2000 A6 4.2. I
>> can tell you that Audi's 5 cylinder turbo and the 4.2L V8 are some of the
>> finest engines ever built. My #2 grandson sill drives my S4, while his
>> brother drives a 2000 S4, and their father drives my 2000 A6 4.2. Other
>> than normal wear and tear item, all the cars have performed flawlessly.
>>
>> I am looking at the latest iteration of the A8. I have driven it and it
>> is a wonderful car.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> I do not think it would be as reliable as Audis were in the past.

I don't see why I wouldn't. I trust Audi. Over the years I have had
very little trouble with any of their products, and I don't see why it
should change.

> The last Audi I had was built by Quattro Gmbh in Germany, just as your RS6,
> but in 2005. The build quality was dreadful, the paint finish was worse than
> a Kia, and the ground points under the hood were corroded after 1 month.
> Regularly needed looking at by the Audi dealership. I hope yours is better
> built. I won't have another.

You must be in Europe somewhere. I think there is a big difference
between Euro and U.S. cars. I don't know of anyone ever having trouble
with paint.

> The first one was built by Audi in Hungary, and was much, much better
> quality, from the interior mirror to the key fob.
> I have had two quattros, but they were the Haldex flavour, not the Torsen
> you have.
>
> If a vehicle has four wheels, and they are all driven at the same time, what
> is the difference between 4 wheel drive, and all wheel drive ?

Google it.

> Regards
>
> David

Dave (the other David)