Old December 20th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Justin[_7_]

Default Antique Car Batteries?

George Patterson wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
>> But we're not killing anyone. Bascially the story involves hooking up
>> two or three modern laptops with car/airline adapters to antique
>> batteries.

> You can hook two 6 volt batteries together in series to get the 12 volts
> required. Again, though, you might want to look at radio batteries. They
> were more readily available at the time, since the AC radio was in its
> infancy. A radio of the period could operate all evening on a single
> charge. There were facilities in medium-sized towns (or larger) to
> recharge them every day or exchange them for fully charged ones.

Ah ha...
That might be a good idea. Good interaction between the people and the
characters.

We're at the planning stages right now, we jot all ideas and put them on
a huge wall.

> Why do they have to refine it? Kerosene was invented as a replacement
> for whale oil in lamps. Gasoline was actually an unwanted byproduct of
> kerosene production in the late 1800s. By the 1890s, kerosene was
> readily available in quantities up to perhaps 50 gallons at any hardware
> store. In the '20s, most gas stations had large tanks of the stuff for
> use in steam-powered autos (like the Stanley). As late as the '60s, many
> U.S. gas stations still had kerosene tanks of 100 to 250 gallons. Larger
> quantities could be had from fuel suppliers.

Sounds too easy.
I'm thinking kerosene of th etime wasn't as clean since it won't be
burned in a sophisticated jet.
What about alcohol? Perhaps a variant of the XCOR type rocket would be
a better plot device. They have one that runs on kerosene and one that
one that runs on alchy.

> If you're talking about 110 volt wiring, that plug came about in the
> '60s and was mandated for new installations in the early '70s. Outlets
> that mimic those used in the '20s are available from repro houses, so
> you could get them for your set (try Reproduction Hardware). Most lower
> class city houses would have still used gas or oil lamps for lighting,
> though, and would not have had electricity. In any case, the outlet
> isn't an issue; your character could walk into a 1920s hardware store,
> buy a period plug, cut off the 3-prong, and hook his computer into the
> house wiring, grounding the safety ground to a water pipe. That's if the
> computer was made in the U.S. and you set this in a major U.S. city.

I think that point is moot since the whole thing will be kept away from
the city. Using mains power wouldn't work out in East Bumble****.

>> The author wants to set it in Italy, pre WW2. Where are we supposed
>> to get Italian antique vehicles from that period?

> You might want to go that route. It would definitely give you an excuse
> for not using the local power grid, since a U.S. computer won't run on
> the European power system.

All laptoppower supplies can take 100/250v at 50/60Hz - since laptops
are designed to travel. I have a laptop from 1995 in my closet, even
that can take dual voltages. In that case, just buy an extension cord
for one Lire cut the end off and splice it onto the laptops power
cheater cord into the power brick. Nobody wold do that at a Holiday Inn
Express but when an adapter isn't handy you make do with a pocket knife
and electrical tape.

> That's definitely not least. They'd better find someone very rich who
> feels generous (unless they just happen to have a supply of antique
> money on board).
>
> George Patterson
> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

Local clubs have been helpful in the past, they do stuff for the local
colleges all the time. I'm an Alum and two of the others are current
students.
One guy has a flatbed truck he's restoring. Right now the puke green
paint he used looks decent but the wheels look like they're used.
Perfect, its not pristine and it should be able to haul something as big
as a EZ-Rocket. He has a fleet of vehicles and he's known for helping
out. He's at the local malls showing off his cars all the time.
Obviously during the winter the cars hibernate, just like my GTO.