Old November 11th 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

Jacqueline Passey wrote:
> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.

The automatics are fine as long as the previous owner didn't
beat it to death, or never changed the fluid. IE: I usually wouldn't
be afraid to buy an automatic from any older person that drove
reasonably, and did the upkeep over the years. On the other hand,
if the owner was a young guy who fancies himself as Speed Racers
lost stepchild, I'd run away as fast as I could. I like manuals
myself,
as I get to pick when to change gears, and the mpg is generally the
best. But the automatics are ok, and some "most?" have lock up
converters so that helps. The 89 accord that I bought with 150k on it
has a 4 speed auto with lock up converter. It could bomb out, but
being
I don't dog it, it'll probably last a while. If it did, I would
probably go
find one at a junkyard if money was an issue. The junkyard will
warranty
it long enough to see if you have a lemon or not.. :/ The difference in

salvage auto trannys and salvage manuals is probably not that great.
If the car was owned by a sane person, and it seems to shift right,
I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. I would change the fluid right off the
bat
if it needed it. Thats what I did on mine, and it made it shift better
think. I actually need to change it a couple of more times. You don't
get out all the dirty fluid on one change. So you have to cycle the
stuff
around and do it again.. I still think it's easier than say yanking a
pan, filter, etc. With the drain plug, it's as easy as an oil change.
MK