Old November 11th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

Default Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

"Jacqueline Passey" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive

No, it isn't.

> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
> to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
> repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
> manual transmission?

A broken manual transmission is just that, broken. Automatics on the other
hand have a lot of parts that wear out, but can be replaced. Typically, one
buys a kit, replaces all the friction materials, and the auto is good to go
for a hundred thousand more, assuming that the fluid is replaced at the
recommended intervals. When a manual transmission goes, something breaks,
and typically pokes a hole in the side of the transmission case, resulting
in a total loss, of the transmission anyway. If you are looking for an
older car, and you do find a manual, it will probably last a pretty long
time, assuming that the previous owner didn't use the clutch pedal for a
foot rest. Clutch replacement isn't so bad though.

Comparing manual transmission repair costs (or anticipated repair costs)
with auto transmission repair costs, is a lot like comparing apples and
oranges. Hope this helps. The main reason to get a manual transmission, in
any car, is that you like driving one.

Earle