Old December 31st 04, 05:04 PM
Nate Nagel

Joseph Meehan wrote:

> Fred Fartalot wrote:
>
>>I am thinking of replacing the stock 16 inch steel wheels on my 2004
>>Golf with 16 inch alloy RAVE wheels.
>>
>>Will the new alloy wheels be heavier or lighter weight?
>>
>>I asked the VW dealer last week and the 2 guys there argued about it
>>and I never got an answer and finally just left.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>

>>maybe the weigh exactly the same?....

> I think that may depend on the particular alloy wheels you are talking
> about. The idea behind the first alloy wheels is their reduced weight.
> However I suspect that many today are heavier than the steel wheels they are
> replacing.
>
> Do consider that alloy wheels are more prone to damage and leaks than
> steel wheels. If you are in a pothole area this can be an important issue.
> One pothole and you may be looking for a new wheel. Finding a new one in a
> few years to match the other three could be impossible.

They can, however be repaired if necessary. There's a shop near me that
fixed some really ugly lip damage on one of my GTI wheels for about $100
IIRC. They also restored some old BBS mesh wheels for me that had been
both bent and curb surfed for about $300 a pair.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel