Old January 13th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

Default SPS spark plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4

In article . com>,
says...
> I installed SPS performance spark plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4
> plugs about 20K miles ago. Everything seems to be working fine, but I
> realized recently that I never checked whether or not the plugs and
> wires were resistively matched. Also, I'm fairly sure that the plug gap
> is different from the spec.
>
> So:
>
> 1. If I haven't been noticing any problems with radio RF interference,
> should I stop worrying?

Interference or not doesnt mean a thing if you have a dead plug or wire.

> 2. Should I change the plugs for Platinum +4s that are gapped to the
> spec?

You dont gap Bosch plugs... You pitch them. +2's, +4's, Splitfires etc
etc are 100% pure gimmick and all Bosch spark plugs just suck. They are
easily fouled and the platinum tips fall out. The 100k mile warranty is
a joke. One set pays for the next two sets you will trade in way before
that.

> 3. What is the typical replacement interval for a plug wire? For plugs?
> The wires have a "limited lifetime warranty", and the plugs have a 100K
> mile replacement interval, I think.

This varies greatly. Best to do visual inspections every so often.
This is basically a rehash of things I've said here before...

Get an ohm meter and ALWAYS check to make sure the wires you get are
good! I have gotten many many bad ones right out of the box. The name
brand of wires honestly does not matter. The resistance and long term
condition does. The resistance of the wires for a S-series Saturn should
be no greater than 12,000 OHMS (12k ohms). If you tug, bend, or look at
your wires wrong they could be damaged so if in doubt check the
resistance again.

Buy some Dielectric or Silicon grease, if none comes with the wire set,
and apply it to the insides of the spark plug boots. This will prevent
corrosion and keep the boots from sticking.

(Compression Sense Timing depends greatly upon good plugs, wires, and
their connection.)

Wires should be replaced at the same time as the plugs or sooner if they
are in poor shape. If you aren't careful in routing them something can
and will rub through the insulation in a short period of time. Carefully
adding wire looms over the plug wires in area's highly prone to chafing
will protect them.

There are only two types of spark plugs I recommend. AC Delco and
Autolite both in Double Platinum since this is a "Waste Spark" Ignition
System. Some here swear by NGK.

Double Platinum plugs should last 80k miles.
Non platinum plugs last about 30k tops.
(Depends on how often they spark, not how far you drive.)

The original spec for Spark Plug Gaps on S-Series Saturn's was .060"
It was later changed to .040" and this is in all the parts books now.
I have read where some had noticed an impact on fuel economy with this
change...Unconfirmed though.

And as always apply a little Anti Seize compound on the upper threads of
the spark plug.