Old November 21st 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is this statement true?

Julie P. wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > oh geez. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE FRAM. FRAM = UNMITIGATED ****.
> > You could seriously wad up your feces, put it in an orange can, and
> > install it on your engine, and it would be as good as a Fram filter.
> >

> Maybe NAPA Gold or one from the dealer then? Advance Auto Part sales has
> some type of "gold" line of their own filters.

NAPA Gold is a rebranded Wix filter, which is an excellent filter.

> It's unfortunate I already bought about 10-15 of the Fram (and Purolator)
> ones a few years ago for my car, while on sale. Oh well.

Purolator is pretty good. I prefer Wix, but there's a Purolator on the
Porsche right now. I just refuse to use Fram under any circumstances -
too many horror stories of the cans blowing apart when cold, on too
many different types of engines. Plus their internal construction just
looks cheezy.

> > Sounds like you're learning to a) become better at seeing potential
> > problems and b) having a few lessons in what are quality parts and what
> > are not. Pretty soon you probably will reach that Zen-like state where
> > you can all but predict what's going to break next, and when...
> >
> > nate

> Yeah, we'll see. Right now I'm trying to do all kinds of last minute
> maintenance before winter.

Yup, spent today doing the same. Next weekend: install heater in
Studebaker. That seems like a fairly important winter accessory

> > (whose car hasn't left him stranded, but is vibrating like mad, and I
> > can't figure it out.)

> Hmmmm. Don't know. Exhaust maybe?

Nope, I suspect either a transaxle getting ready to self destruct,
and/or collateral damage from the hit it took to the driver's side
quarter panel. The driver's side outer CV bolts were all loose and the
boot on that joint was all cracked, which is odd as it's less than a
year old, and I replaced both axles at the same time and the other
three CV's were all tight. The fact that it was the same corner of the
car that took a hit makes me think that there is a problem there that
may or may not be related to getting hit, but I can't prove it, nor can
I find what the problem actually is - I replaced that axle again today
(the company I bought it from - Raxles, inc, highly recommended - sent
me a warranty replacement as the boot was near split through) but the
problem still remains; although I'm considering the loose bolts a clue
that the vibration is originating in the area of that hub.

But, as I said, I'm scratching my head. I think it will probably go
back in the shop this week; I don't feel like messing it, and if it's
related to getting hit my insurance company ought to pay. (fortunately
I did not cancel my comp and collision; unfortunately whoever plowed
into it didn't bother to leave a note...)

nate