Old November 20th 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is this statement true?

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Julie P. wrote:
>>
>> A professional mechanic once posted in another forum that if your car is
>> well maintained by a competent mechanic who maintains his education, it
>> should NEVER break down without warning, leaving you stranded.
>>
>> Is this statement true?

> Depends on your definition of well-maintained. Airplane engines
> periodically
> get rebuilt at a certain interval, whether they need it or not, because
> the
> consequences of failure are severe. This is, however, extremely
> expensive.
>
> I remember riding the bus in the Phillipines.... each round trip from
> Manila
> to Baguio, they'd drop the engine, take it apart, and check it. Labour
> was
> very cheap and parts were very expensive.

I assume you mean "air bus" and not a regular bus?

> It also depends on your definition of "without warning." I can list
> five...
> no, six things on my daily driver that are giving some symptoms of
> possible
> impending failure, and I should probably do something about them. But
> none
> are really high on the list.
>
> It's all a cost vs. risk breakdown. What are you willing to pay for each
> given increment in reliability?

Thanks, I agree. It's just with me, I do my own maintenance, and sometimes
this can take a while, as there is a learning curve. So I am trying to be
more cautious, especially as my car ages. I have not seen a mechanic in
almost 6 years now, except to balance my tires and have them mounted. I even
pull my own wheels before I hand them to them.