Old November 20th 05, 09:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Failed SMOG, now what???

"skuba" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I am trying to sell my 1992 Toyota Tercel, it runs good but has
> 200k miles on it.
>
> I failed the smog test and now I don't know what to do.

Sell it as-is.

> The emission problem could be o2 sensor, catalytic converter or EGR
> valve. Or even more than 1 of the 3. So this could cost me a lot.
>
> I was asking $1400 for the car. Now, I don't know if I fix and try to
> ask for more, if I should donate, etc...

$1400 would be out of the question even if it passed the smog check.

> Do you think I could replace the 02 sensor or catalytic converter
> myself? I amnot a mechanic. If the problem is in the 02 sensor or
> converter it wn't cost so much, but I believe the EGR valve costs
> around $200

Even if you do your own work you will never recoup the money
you spend on it.

> Some people are calling me and saying they will buy the car as is. But
> I am afraid of that, because without smog they can't transfer to their
> name.

Why would you be afraid of that? Unless the state laws specifically
prohibit title transfer you don't need to worry about this. And many
if not most states do not prohibit title transfer just because it fails
smog.
They prohibit REGISTRATION but titling a car isn't the same thing as
registering it. You should check
your state laws carefully. And another thing, even if your state
explicitly prohibits someone from titling a car unless it is smog checked,
you can easily sell it out of state to someone who does not live in
a state that has such Nazi laws.

If I modify a car to use for off-road racing or whatever, it will by
definition fail a smog check. So are you saying that in your state
that people are prohibited from selling ATVs, dragsters, and other
offroad vehicles? I think not.

> What do you suggest?

Sell it and make sure to get identification from the buyer, such
as their drivers license number, and verify that with their actual
license, and make sure to have their signature on a bill of sale or
some such that proves legally that you transferred ownership to
them. Once they own the vehicle, you cannot be held liable
for anything they do with it even if they never transfer the title.
By law they are probably required to transfer the title within 90
days of buying it from you, so if your still paranoid you can
call the cops if they don't do it.

Ted