Old April 12th 11, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
SBH

Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> On 04/11/2011 05:45 PM, SBH wrote:
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
>> than
>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants
>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
>> more
>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

> lots of people know the answer to this. you could too if you could be
> bothered to look up the numbers on the manufacturer's website.
>
> you'd be better off asking the question "why" - if you don't want a "rtfm"
> answer.

Silly me, why didn't I think of that....? Oh wait, I did, but that doesn't
erase my skepticism about manufacture mileage posting. It's similar to the
little guy enhancing the size of his johnson because it really isn't.
Therefore, I thought I'd bother myself twice and ask in here as well. You
know what they say about assumptions.