Old December 6th 04, 07:19 PM
Abeness

Abeness wrote:
> This clearly indicates that there is a problem between the point at
> which the arm is attached to the cam shaft and the piston. If I read the
> diagram right it could possibly be simply that the parking nut and lever
> are loose, so I'll definitely check those. Thanks for the push.

The plot thickens... I disassembled the parking arm assembly. The cam is
fine (no rust), the cam boot is supple, the parking nut, washer, and arm
were correctly seated, if very rusty. The cam rotates, and in fact does
move the piston a bit--looked like ~1/8", but that required full
movement of the arm. I was unable to compare the movement on the other
side today due to rain that started earlier than hoped (damn!). Anyone
know offhand just how far the p-brake arm is supposed to move the piston?

I'm wondering whether merely screwing the piston in and out during the
last examination reset things, and I just didn't give it enough time to
self-adjust. How long/how many pedal pushes is that supposed to take,
anyway? I've only driven ~10 miles since I rotated the piston, but we've
got a nice long trip coming up over the weekend that will surely adjust
it, unless part of the adjusting mechanism behind the piston is somehow
damaged or insufficiently lubricated.

I suppose it's also possible that the p-brake cable on the left side is
stretched out too much to be acceptable. Guess I'll have to disassemble
both sides at my next opportunity, to compare the mechanisms more closely.

Grrrr.