Old June 9th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 1974 SB - Replacing manual fuel pump with an electric (fuel delivery problem)

I had the exact same problem with the exact same car. It would just
cut off at random and after a while it would go again. Turns out it
was a sticker from a fuel additive bottle floating around in my gas
tank. I went through all sorts of stuff trying to figure out the
problem. Apparently the sticker would clog the hole, and after a while
the suction would be released and the sticker would float off waiting
to reek havoc at a later point. I have no idea how it got there (I
didn't use additives), but finally I took out the gas tank and cleaned
it out after eliminating EVERY other possibility. You might want to
take a peek.