Old June 8th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 1974 SB - Replacing manual fuel pump with an electric (fuel deliveryproblem)

Steve wrote:

> I have a 1974 SB with what I call a fuel delivery problem. I want to go
> ahead and replace the manual fuel pump with an electric, however, I don't
> know what the GPH rating is.
>
> I have looked at the current manual pump, and it has no information on it.
>
> What is the "stock" GPH rating that would apply? I have a choice of 25, 30,
> 35 & 45 GPH, or am I barking up the wrong tree, and it could be a carb
> problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve

If you have a clogged main fuel line, neither pump will work.
There is absolutely no reason that the stock pump can't
be made to work (or replaced with like, if bad).

If the car gets 30 MPG and is going at 60 MPH, that is
consumption of only 2 GPH.

You can test the fuel line by disconnecting it from the
pump and routing it into a suitable gas can.
Jack the frt of the car up.
Fuel should flow freely (steady stream) into the can.
If you get a dribble, the line is clogged.
If you get good stream, allow it to run for several
minutes. This will check for proper tank venting.

If *your* stream is a dribble, you probably have BPH. <g>

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/