Old January 22nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Parking Brake

Ken Lyons wrote:

> Lanny asked about Brian's rear brake adjustment, not his parking brake. If
> the adjustment was not done at the last pad change, the parking brake will
> not work well as the pads will be too far away from the rotors.

Gotcha, but once the adjustment is done, don't the brakes work
identically to the fronts?

The reason that I assumed "parking brake", is because as fas as I can
tell, the adjustment only needs to be made to make sure that the pads
are close enough to the rotors to allow the parking brake to work when
the lever is engaged but far enough away to let the wheels spin freely
when it is released.

Once this is done properly, what need is there to adjust the rear brakes
unless the parking brake is not holding or is not releasing?

Pat