Old October 21st 05, 08:37 PM

Default Dodge Caravan 2002 Transmission Problem

"Stam" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
> I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan automatic transmission, currently with 80K

miles
> (mostly highway).
> Since about 20K miles I started feeling some "bang" noise down shifting to
> second gear.
> The dealer says all is OK. They replaced pump, changed computer settings

and
> flushed computer software but nothing helps. When I asked them to hookup
> that computer thing that logs events they found every excuse in the world
> not to do so.
> The problem is getting worse (and the warranty will expire soon) any ideas
> (on top of going to another transmission place)?
>
> Thank You

Dodge has had a lot of transmission problems over the past decade, but I
thought
that most of them had been ironed out by 2002. Maybe not

The Caravan in particular was a problematic model because a lot of the
smaller
RE variant transmissions were used, and they just did not hold up well at
all.

Some say that the use of nonconforming transmission fluid caused a lot of
the
problems. Special fluids are available and must be used.

In addition, Chrysler made a lot of changes to try to toughen up this
series.

A little later they introduced the 545RFE transmission (in about 2000?). I
haven't
kept up with them but they were believed to be much more durable and
reliable.

I wouldn't let the warranty expire before I got this solved. It could get
expensive.