Old October 17th 05, 07:05 PM
Comboverfish

Default 1992 Honda Civic DX issue

wrote:
> I have the vehicle named above. This morning after driving to work, I
> noticed that the engine temperature was much higher than normal, and
> there was coolant on the ground. Then I tried the heat in the car, and
> only cool air would blow out from the heater. I turned off the car
> immediately.
>
> I don't know if this is the water pump, a hose, or the radiator. I
> have an appointment with my mechanic in a few days.
>
> Can I drive this vehicle at all without damaging it? May I drive it
> short distances if I watch the heat guage? Thanks for the
> information...

Add coolant to the radiator and overflow bottle with the engine COLD.
Replace cap and start engine. Look around the top of the radiator for
leaks. If no leak is found there, look underneath the front engine
area (driver's side where the accessory belts are) for coolant dripping
on the ground.

A very slow leak can be monitored while still driving the car short
distances. If the leak is from the top of the radiator, and not too
bad, you should be OK for the next couple of days. If it is from under
the engine (water pump most likely) then I would suggest you let it sit
until your repair appointment.

The fact that you had no heat is proof enough that you were dangerously
low on coolant. Perhaps you had a slow leak and did not notice it
until now, or perhaps the leak is a gusher that just opened up. Know
which one it is before you attempt to drive any further.

Toyota MDT in MO