Old January 18th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Default FS: 10,500# winch and jeep mount

Nathan W. Collier wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>> I have a Warn hs9000i that could easily lift my >3000 lb Jeep up into a
>> tree. My current battery won't leak either. I do pull other Jeeps up
>> cliffs.

> electric winches are good for short periods of time and do serve most needs
> just fine. with a hydraulic winch however, you could sit at the top of the
> hill literally all day long winching one after another 24/7 without heating
> up the winch or having to wait to charge the battery after a few pulls. its
> an entirely different class. more than most need? sure. can electrics
> compare for extended usage? no way. for extended/continual usage they are
> not even in the same class.

That's a real 'working' winch.

I was involved in a 3 weekend clean up of one local off road area and I
winched all the wrecked or burned out hulks up onto the main trail so
bigger trucks could drag them out. My winch got hot enough on one to
melt the heat shrink off the cable ends.

My battery held though. I have a hand throttle function as part of my
manual choke so kept it on the 1200 rpm fast idle step with the choke
off to keep the amps up.

Does yours need/use throttle?

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com