Old March 27th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Help, please, 1991 Accord Check Engine light and poor running.

On Mar 21, 10:33 am, wrote:
> Hello, all, I have a couple of problems with a 1991 Accord that I
> can't seem to find a definite answer for. It's a 4 cylinder,
> automatic with 220,000 miles.
>
> This my girlfriend's car, so I don't drive it that much, but I've
> driven it enough to see both problems.
>
> First, the check engine light comes on from time to time. It may come
> on and then go off after restarting the car. I've checked the engine
> code (by jumpering the little connector under the glovebox and
> counting the CEL flashes) and I get a code 1, which is supposed to be
> the O2 sensor (not sure if that's the upstream or downstream sensor (I
> think there are both on this car but I have not visually verified
> that). This problem has been occurring for several months, even
> before I did some work on the car's engine, so I don't feel it is
> related to any recent work on the car.
>
> Before I mention the second problem let me say that one month ago I:
> replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, spark plugs,
> distributor cap, distributor rotor, spark plug wires, and the valve-
> stem seals. Afterwards it ran fine, no problems evidenced at all, but
> I probably should mention that work, just in case it matters.
>
> The second probem occurred last Saturday. The car had been driven and
> warmed up and then parked for about 2 hours. After starting the car
> we drove it about 6 miles and the car exhibited loss of power. We
> stopped at a store and killed about 30 minutes and then went back to
> the car. We were going to my home about 60 miles from where we were
> and I drove. The car ran fine until the last 3 miles or so. I was
> driving about 80 mph when the speed started dropping and it felt like
> it had lost power, yet it didn't feel like the engine had died, it
> just decellerated gradually. I pressed the accelerator to no avail,
> however, when I pressed the pedal all the way to the floor the car
> downshifted and surged hard, full power. So, it ran fine at wide open
> throttle (WOT). I lessened the pressure on the accelerator and let it
> return to about where it should be for 70-80 mph and the car upshifted
> and then exhibited the loss of power again. I repeated the WOT,
> downshift, ease-back, upshift sequence twice more before I reached my
> exit from the hiway. However, once I had slowed down for the exit,
> and for the remaining 1.2 miles or so to my house, the car ran
> flawlessly. It never died, I never killed/restarted it, nothing.
> Just slowed down, exited the hiway, boom! ran fine.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions on what is going on with these two problems?
> Is it worthwhile to replace the O2 sensor, or should I remove it,
> inspect it, check the connections, etc. and try to finesse this
> thing? Anything relate that to this newer problem of power loss?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> --HC

Thank you all for your help and input. I added coolant (as one person
suggested (it was low)) and drove it about 70 miles with no change, so
that was not the solution this time. I then replaced the O2 sensor
(with the Bosch since I had already committed myself to it) and that
was it. It has been driven several hundred miles now (about 300+)
with no check engine light or poor running.

Thank you all again.

--HC