Old August 24th 05, 12:22 AM
John DiFool

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:22:46 -0400, John DiFool
> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:45:25 -0500, Dave Henrie
> wrote:
>
>>John DiFool > wrote in
m:

>>> But as the most visible site in the sim racing community, you don't
>>> think they shoulder a responsibility to be professional, impartial,
>>> non-hypocritical, and non-confrontational? I do.
>>>
>>> John DiFool
>>>

>> I don't. So there. Where does this need for a big emotional hug from
>>RSC come from. Alright. All you belly achers...which ones DIDN'T get
>>breast fed as babies? There has got to be a logical reason for this NEED
>>to be validated.
>>
>>dave henrie
>>
>>going ..going..

>Straw man. My point was, that, as the most visible and most commonly
>visited sim site on the planet, that it doesn't show either them or
>the
>community in a good light if certain moderators engage in questionable
>behaviors. This is a likely route to either irrelevance or oblivion
>(for some community members, RSC has indeed started to become
>irrelevant).
>
>Imagine if an organization in a real-world community somewhere,
>an organization which has a very high profile there and is able to
>serve certain needs for its community, started to get all ****y and
>obnoxious in certain respects. You don't think the community
>members would have a right to be annoyed?

And while I'm at it...

My only point here is this: when someone in the community does
something, does it benefit the community, or does it harm it? And
the higher the profile/influence of the party in question, the
greater their effect on things, for good or ill:

In this vein I see the release of rFactor as being a very good
thing. It will bring together racers who formerly probably
never did anything together and had little in common.

Likewise, all that First/iRacing stuff didn't do the community
any good at all. To name just one thing, it was probably a
contributing factor to the low number of people who signed
up for the recently-canceled Nurby 24 Hours for the GTP
mod (as a number of people have publicly said that the
First fiasco turned them off to racing NR2003).

Say someone visits RSC for the first time, lurks around and
sees a huge flame war where the mods are just fueling the fire.
His conclusion is likely that he won't be wanting to associate
with ANYONE, on both sides-thus we just lost a potential
member of our racing fellowship.

JD