Old February 26th 18, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default stretched timing belt?

> wrote:
>A friend of mine has an Astra. It came up with error code P14 (exhaust cam
>advanced). I replaced the camshaft control solenoid, and it was okay for
>a short while.

And when you did this, what did the timing look like with the light?

>But then started losing power, stalling and throwing more error codes.
>So she took it to a dealer workshop. Their diagnosis was "stretched timing
>belt". I haven't heard of this before. Usually just hear about them
>snapping and wrecking the engine, or some teeth breaking off, and it
>slipping out of phase.

Nope, they can stretch too. But in this case, it might have slipped out
of phase.

>I guess if the belt became longer, it would be benign at constant speed,
>but then go out of phase when accelerating?

Maybe, but depending on the tensioner design it might also be more likely
to skip. The timing light will tell you what is actually going on.

And don't forget to replace the tensioner, if it IS the belt. Which it
likely is.
--scott