Old March 21st 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

Default E39 / E60 Clutch sensitivity

"John Carrier" wrote
> 2) The clutch slave cylinder employs a clutch delay valve which prevents
> rapid engagement of the clutch (BMW says to reduce drivetrain shock). It
> makes smooth 1-2 shifts difficult to perform. It can be safely removed
> (or if you're concerned about warrantee issues) replaced with a valve body
> whose guts have been removed. Whichever method, the improvements are
> worthwhile.

I had my CDV removed about 3 months ago (e39 530i), and honestly, smooth
shifting is still next to impossible on this car, mainly for the reason BobP
mentioned - the engagement point just seems extremely small. Either that,
or there is something wrong with my clutch (I bought it used with 30K
miles).

And it's not that I don't know how to drive stick. I drove sticks all my
life, and this is the first car where I can't execute smooth shifts majority
of the time.

Pete