Old July 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
necromancer in CNY (hint - its not an airport)

Default 55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 02:12:30 -0700 (PDT), XOZ
> wrote:

>On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
>> Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit? It's easy for him
>> to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the wrath of angry voters.
>> According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed limit (either 55 or
>> 60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the Mississippi, but here out
>> West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the despised double-nickel?
>> Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975: The 55 speed limit
>> is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by the
>> states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural freeways, or AZ, NV,
>> UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't drive 55."

>How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. Those
>people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
>out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
>enforcement. Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
>simple. And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
>just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
>police state bonanza for.

Dear Allah in Paradise, are they dredging that dead horse up again? I
guess the old saying is true: those who don't learn from history are
doomed to repeat it. Good thing my frequent flyer account is still
active.
--
"The record run in oil prices is related more to
speculation and a weakening dollar than supply

--Exxon-Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson