Old May 1st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 2006 Mustang Convertible 2 questions?

"Bill Jarrett" > wrote in message
: Can you drive with the top down and without the tonneau on, without
damaging
: the top?

This depends on your idea of damage.
If you are thinking of WIND damage, no problem, you can drive faster with
the tonneau off than you can with it on. It will possibly blow off at around
90. I had one come off on me while running 85 down teh freeway. It really
raised hell with the traffic let me tell ya, and then I had to turn around
and go get it.

If you are thinking of SUN damage, you should ALWAYS use your tonneau, or
the sun will fade the headliner making it prematurely ugly and causing the
early onset of fabric rot. It fades to an ugly reddish brown color. It will
also allow more dirt to get into the fabric.

:At lower speeds? A highway speeds?

Any speed should be ok, see above.

:
: The car doesn't yet have 1000 km (600 miles) on it. Will the mileage
: improve? ( V6 - 5 speed auto transmission) Yesterday we drove 300 km
mostly
: on cruise at 110km/hr and only got 31mpg (imperial gallon).

Bill - hon - you don't buy a Mustang for fuel economy. Love it for what it
is.
If the mileage improves, all the better, but don't get your hopes up.
Think of your new baby as a high maintenance woman. She's expensive, but
worth it.
I'm too blonde to do the conversion from metric to mpg but I'm guessing it's
not great.

My Rubicon is a 6 banger and only gets 14-16 mpg. Much less than my 98 Cobra
got.

Kate

:
: Thanks