Old July 10th 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

Default Cracked Block Probability

On 7/9/2020 10:31 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 07/09/2020 05:38 AM, wrote:
>> I won't remember the details clearly by my '70 chevy lost
>> a "freeze
>> plug" in the winter 'cuz my antifreeze measure was faulty.
>> I do
>> remember desperately pouring water in, that had ice in it.
>> The
>> miracle was somebody telling of a shop that would fix it.
>> I drove,
>> stopping every mile or so when it overheated and poured
>> more water
>> in. they fixed it just fine and I got to use it for some
>> years
>> after.
>>
>> Now, "freeze plug" is not what it was designed as, it was
>> a lucky
>> accident from the block casting process.

> Takes me back...
>
> Four months pregnant and one of mine blew. Yeah, like we
> need those in SoCal. For a while I could use the car by
> filling it up at home, driving to work, filling it up at
> work and driving home. Ultimately I crawled under the 1950
> Chevy and replaced the STEEL freeze plug with a brass one.
> Fortunately only one went bad.
>
> It would have killed GM to use brass in the first place? Do
> they still use them at all?

Yep, pointless in SoCal but significant up nort'.

They're a necessary foible of the sandcasting process (my GM
aluminum engine doesn't have them) and do indeed prevent
total block loss if the operator neglects coolant mixture in
severe cold. I'm not at all sure that brass or steel plugs
would function or fail differently.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>