Old October 16th 11, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default Replacing E30 control arms and bushings

> wrote:
>
>If I re-use the bushing brackets (lollipops) is a conventional
>hydraulic shop press all that is needed to install the new bushings in
>the brackets? I have such a press.

You don't even need that, an arbor press will do. First time I ever did
it, I was helping a friend of mine and we didn't even have a bench press.
We took a drill press, put a large-diameter bit in the chuck backwards
and cranked down.

>Now I've heard that getting the control arm nubs into the bushings is
>a real pain but have not been able to find any information on how
>people have done this. I know to use liquid soap or something else
>that won't harm the rubber as a lubricant.

It's a pain to get it out, it's a pain to get it back in. These days
there's really no reason to do it unless you want to put in some goofy
racing bushings or something.

>I know it is possible to buy bushings already mounted in brackets.
>Can anyone suggest a good source for these in the U.S.?

Just replace the whole assembly. It hardly costs any more than the bushing
and it'll save you a huge amount of time. Buy it from the dealer if you
want, or Bavarian Autosport if you prefer.
--scott