Old September 1st 11, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Pat Dotson

Default FFB

If Mario's recommended settings resulted in only the largest spike in
forces to be clipped, I would find that perfectly reasonable. If the
addition of damper results in a more realistic feel for him, I think
that's great. I usually use some level of damping myself.

I see two problems here;

One, Mario describes clipping as some sort of extremely strong shock
delivered through the wheel. He says this: "Clipping isn't just a
constant force." But it is. If the wheel is clipping, it is
outputting the constant maximum force allowed by the wheel's FFB
settings.Everyone else in the world understands this, but Mario seems
to be trying to redefine the use of the word.

Secondly, his recommended 139/139/139 settings combined with any more
than a 1 or 2 in-game FFB strength results in constant FFB clipping,
i.e. max force output of the FFB motors. In fact, with a 139 overall
strength, even at a 1 or 2 in-game setting, the usable cornering
aligning torque feedback is being "squashed" into the upper range of
force level, such that it might as well be clipped. With his original
recommendation of 40 on the old 100 scale, or his new recommendation
of 8 on the 40 scale, the only time the wheel will not be delivering
max force output will be when the wheel is within a few degrees of the
center of the aligning torque of the front tires. Going down an
straight away, and slightly moving the steering wheel to the left or
right will result in max force in the opposite direction. It's very
unstable.

The other thing is his ideas on FOV. If all he is saying is that the
perspective needs to be correct in order for the brain to properly
interpret FFB in the context of what is on-screen, then that is
reasonable. But he seems to be saying that the forces felt at the
wheel literally change when FOV settings are changed. I do not
believe this. And even if they did change, IMO he would never be able
to perceive the difference given the FFB settings he claims to run.

But obviously, he has all the answers and everyone else in the world
is clueless