Old August 31st 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default FFB

Ken MacKay:
> Almost hate to jump in here but have been enjoying this thread so much
> have to contribute.
>
> Some of what Mario has been saying might be lost in translation. What
> I got from it was that he doesn't care if the larger forces like
> hitting curbs or bumps are clipped. I believe he wants the more subtle
> forces, like those coming from cornering, to come through stronger so
> he increases the wheel settings so these come through better, at the
> expense of the larger forces being clipped.
>
> As for the comments about the damper settings I believe he is saying
> that without damping the forces coming through are noisy because
> without some damping the forces don't settle at the intended value.
> In a control system the goal is for the system to reach a new set
> point quickly and settle to that value. In a system with little
> damping the system will tend to overshoot the set point and then
> undershoot, and keep oscillating about the the set point for a few
> cycles. Without any damping it may never settle to the set point and
> keep under-overshooting the set point (this may possibly be the
> "spikyness"). In a dynamic system, where the set point is always
> changing, no damping can produce very erratic behavior. I believe
> this is why Mario is saying that having no damping is not correct. On
> the other hand an overdamped system takes longer to reach the set
> point, so for a dynamic system the intended levels may never be
> reached and this can completely obscure smaller/brief changes in set
> point.

Oh, thanks Ken.
You obviously understand very well those things, and plus you have
experience with it. I also have some experience at my work. I was writing
exactly what you wrote, in iRacing forum, and boy, the reception I got, BOTH
from common laymen, and from iRacing. I mean, at least iRacing SHOULD know
something about it. I mean, maybe iRacing understands this, they never said
that they excluded me because of what I wrote, but because of complaining of
other people. This way or that way, this simply isn't fair.
I mean, you wrote everything, and this cannot be written better. Who
is able to understand it, he will understand. The problem are some
missconceptions that are preveiling in simracing community. The
missconceptions aren't that bad, if they weren't backed up by
Papyrus/iRacing themselves. The most popular missconception is that damper
forces are canned. Of course they are canned, but without them FFB forces
DON'T work as intended. Simple as that. Both, Papyrus and iRacing
INTENTIONALLY dissabled damper. There is NO sense in this. Even if people
who are using damper are wrong (of course, they aren't), I mean, they have
the right to use it, if they want it. And then come some "purists" who want
"pure" forces. Lol, I mean...

> As to whether his settings are correct or not I cannot say as don't
> have that wheel. And again, this is how I interpreted his posts.
> YMMV.
>
> I am still trying to translate what he is saying about FOV and
> cockpitLookDeadZone affecting FFB. The only possible connection I
> could think of was that he is trying to get the feeling of immersion
> correct, such that the visuals are correct along with the forces
> coming through the wheel so that everything "feels" right. But that
> is just a guess on my part. If there is a correlation between the
> actual forces output by the wheel and FOV and cockpitLookDeadZone
> settings I'd be glad to have an explanation of how they are linked and
> why the settings require such precision.

The incorrect FOV beahves like this:
Too low FOV, picture is vertically compressed, and horizontally
stretched.
Too high FOV, is the other way around.
The arch you are seeing on your screen doesn't corespondence to the
forces you feel through wheel. If too low FOV, you have too sharp corners,
and other way around.
But FOV isn't such a problem.
CockiptLookDeadZone is some kind of lag menagement. I am still
testing it, but it looks like this should be something like 0.100000.
iRacing puts this to 0.050000. Of course that lag affects FFB very much.
But, the most important thing is the hight of screen. Why this
affects FFB, I really don't know exactly, but it definitelly affects it
badly. Since you are good in physics you will understand this. It affects
FFB the way shifting the center of gravity up or down, would. This has to
match PRECISELY, otherwise you'll have problems with FFB.

Mario