Old August 30th 11, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default FFB

Pat Dotson:
>I tried your 139/139/139/100 settings with various in-game FFB
> strengths. The wheel (G25) was clipping constantly with anything but
> an in-game setting of around 1 or 2.
>
> If it's damping that you want, you can add that with the new slider
> that iRacing added. That still doesn't change what clipping is, and
> how you have to set all the parameters to avoid it. There can be no
> doubt, especially with your earliest recommendation of using in-game
> strength of 40, that your settings will clip FFB effects continually
> in corners.
>
> BTW, by setting your overall strength to 139%, what you are doing is
> amplifying the smallest FFB signals. The result is less of the 'dead
> zone' that people used to complain about with the G25's. Actually at
> 139%, you've gone far past accounting for the dead zone, and have
> introduced instability into the feedback whenever the force direction
> is reversed.
>
> Also, my FOV is set to match my screen size and distance to my eyes so
> that I get a perspective close to reality. If you look back through
> iRacing forums and even here on RAS, you'll see that I was an early
> proponent of this.

Well, thanks for trying it out.
What can I say, there is something wrong here. I definitely KNOW
what clipping is, and definitely feel it, there is no doubt about it. This
clipping definitely doesn't affect my FFB, neither in corners, or anywhere
else. I also very well know what you say about so called "dead zone", and
yes rising up things eliminates this. You have to rise up past that "dead
zone" and to match the strength of your arms. People are so misunderstanding
things.
I mean, look at settings 139/139/139/139. Well, if I am a
manufacturer of FFB wheels, this is how I would design things. And not to
say that the default is 100/100/100/100, and the right is 100/0/0/100.
Please. Also, I am using ALL of the in-game, you are using what, some
minicular part of FFB. Man, this just doesn't have a sense, it is so
obvious. So obvious.
This all wouldn't mean much, if I really don't feel exactly how
would I expect to feel, both, driving my settings, and driving your
settings. Your settings for me are just out of this world. It really is so
untrue, so erratic, that you really need to use low FFB to manage this. I
mean, even if iRacing recommended 20%, nobody used that much, simply because
they couldn't handle it. I am handling my way, whichever setting you want. I
can drive with 150/150/150/150, and in-game all the way up, the only problem
is, just like you would EXPECT, it is too strong for my arms.
The key is to adjust the hight of screen, and cockpitLookDeadZone,
where the hight of screen is by far the most important thing, and you have
to adjust it to 4 decimal places.

Mario