Old April 24th 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E34 Rear Shock Tower (129k)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:40:49 -0700, Wattage wrote:

> I have recently determined that what I had believed was a squeeky shock
> actually turned out to be a broken rear shock tower. Looking for
> guidence on a fair price for replacing. Also, I assume it makes sense
> to replace both rear shocks to scale the labor. Any advise would be
> appreciated. Thx

You can do this piecemeal and risk your car leaning forward or aft, or you
can do it all at once. Piecemeal, rear Sachs shocks are 85 a piece. The
springs are 85 a piece(Boge) or 250 for all 4(Eibach Prokit).

If your shocks are over 100K miles old, you probably have
lowering/settling on both sides of the car and you don't even know it.
Springs settle and struts/shocks get squishy. In short, you should
replace all 4 springs(Eibach or OEM) and your 2 shocks and 2
struts(Sachs). It's 680 bucks about, and labor is a killer too so find a
cheap mechanic. Good luck.