Old August 11th 04, 06:14 AM
Gene Poon

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:

> Hi again;
>
> 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.0 L
>
> I posted just a few minutes ago auto trans fluid capacity, and then
> poked around a bit on this group. I discovered that the type of ATF might
> be important.
>
> I used 4 qts of ATF+3 to replace the fluid lost to the line leak. I can't
> find the spec's for a '94. Is ATF+3 OK for a '94? Does anybody know how
> much a auto trans should hold, if all the fluid leaked out?

ATF+3 is absolutely fine, and it's OK to just keep adding until the
level is correct. If your dipstick has a level for COLD fluid, start
with that; then start the engine, idle it and shift through all the
transmission ranges, and check again; add if necessary. Then let it get
thoroughly warm; you can warm it up faster at idle with parking brake on
and wheels blocked if you wish; just don't be tempted to "blip" the
throttle. Check fluid again when it's fully warmed up, and correct the
level if necessary. Drive it carefully and observe how the transmission
shifts, if the fluid did indeed all drain out of it.