Old March 24th 11, 09:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

On 3/22/2011 9:13 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Body Roll" > wrote in message
>>

> I think Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is the current king of the wet
> traction hill
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.... Z1+Star+Spec
>

> I loved these when I had them on my protege. Wet traction is almost
> indistinguishable from dry traction.
>
>> --
>> Alan Baker
>> Vancouver, British Columbia
>> <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

> Alan, I've heard allot about those tires and I'm really hoping to try
> them one of these days. I think the one thing that holds me back on them
> is the price to treadwear rating ratio, so-to-speak. I know they'll be
> incredibly grippy but I wonder if I'll go thru them in a heart beat.
> I've gotten to where I like to autocross and do track days with the same
> tires I use as daily drivers. And, I like them to last for awhile. I'm
> currently getting about 2 years and 20k out of the Yoko Prada Spec 2's
> and they are very grippy both wet and dry imho. Do you think these
> Dunlops would hold up that long? I think the Dunlops are rated 220 and
> the Yokos are rated 300. I know those are not necessarily scientifically
> comparable #'s but it seems to indicate significant difference in tread
> life. Oh, and it looks like they are significantly cheaper (at Tire
> Rack) also. I've driven these tires with Falken Azennis (front vs rear)
> and swear by their performance in comparison.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

To be honest, you will not be very competitive with street tires that
have high tread wear ratings. In any event, tires that are over about
two years old get hard and loose a lot of cornering capability.

I had this happen with a set of Bridgestone tires - - First year ok.
Next year slid all over the place.